Wednesday 3 February 2010

IAEA & Euratom apply to defence related radioactive materials and wastes managed by the NDA

The NDA has confirmed that the IAEA safeguards regime for radioactive materials/substances and radioactive waste and also, the provisions of the Euratom Treaty and subsidiary legislation does apply to radioactive wastes and substances/materials originating from UK defence activities managed, stored or disposed by the NDA or its contractors. I must admit I was somewhat surprised at the response.

Transcript of my email to the NDA and their response

FoI Request to the NDA dated January 8 2009

Dear JH
Thank you for your reply but correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall you replying yes or no to this question bearing in mind the reference I made UK defence activities

"So am I correct that your reply means that the IAEA safeguards regime for radioactive materials/substances and radioactive waste and also, the provisions of the Euratom Treaty and subsidiary legislation will apply to radioactive wastes and substances/materials originating from UK defence activities managed, stored or disposed by the NDA or its contractors."

Fred Dawson

Reply from NDA dated February 9 2009

Dear Mr Dawson

Sorry for the delay in responding. The answer is yes.

Regards

JH Information Access Manager

NDA, Herdus House, Westlakes Science and Technology Park, Moor Row, Cumbria, CA24 3HU
T: 01925 80 2077
W: http://www.nda.gov.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment